Did you know that vertigo can be eliminated with a series of physical exercises which I named as Vertigo Treatment Exercises.
You don’t need to worry, this exercise is easy and you do it alone in your home
- Without the help of an assistant
- Performed on your soft bed
- 5-10 minutes
As you already know that vertigo is a sense of spinning, swinging lasting from a few seconds to hours. Even though you are perfectly still.
For those of you who have just experienced it for the first time. It’s very scary, isn’t it?
Of course, it can make you very panic. Especially for your unpreparedness about the strange things that have just happened to your body.
Do not worry! You are not alone.
I used to have vertigo. And it is an unpleasant experience to remember. At that time when vertigo was relapsing, I couldn’t even stand perfectly.
Everything I saw seemed to be circling. Even when I tried to sit, the dizziness did not disappear.
The only way I could do at that time was lie down and tried to calm down. And that was quite helpful.
How do you get vertigo?
Maybe now you are asking yourself, how can I suffer from vertigo even though there were no symptoms before. There are a number of things that can cause you to suffer from vertigo, including:
- head injury due to collision with a blunt object or surgery
- sudden changes in pressure in the inner ear due to sneezing too hard, or diving in the deep sea
- high consumption of alcohol, caffeine or salt
- side effects of certain diseases such as flu, stress, tumors, migraines, or inflammation of the inner ear
For my case it was because of flu.
These things will lead to different types of vertigo that I can help explain
One information that you might need to know is that vertigo is a symptom of a disease / disorder in your body.
Simply put, vertigo is not a disease in itself. So, focus on healing the main illness you are suffering from, such as severe flu or injury to the inner ear.
Now, maybe you can’t wait to find out what kind of exercise you have to do to eliminate the vertigo you are currently suffering from.
Unfortunately, I have to say that vertigo treatment exercise only applies to one type of vertigo.
For more details, let me explain the type of vertigo to you.
Types of Vertigo
- Central Vertigo.
This type of vertigo is caused by a disorder / injury to the central nervous system, such as the brain. Central tendon vertigo lasts quite a long time and often appears suddenly without showing any visible symptoms before.
Some of the causes include: stroke, brain tumor, head injury, migraine, etc.
- Peripheral Vertigo.
This type of vertigo caused by a disorder / injury at the center of balance in the inner ear. This type is known to be the most common and most likely the type of vertigo you are suffering from.
Some causes include BPPV, vestibular neuronitis, meniere’s disease, etc.
Only BPPV or Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo can be treated with a series of physical exercises.
This is the vertigo treatment exercise that I will explain to you.
Then what if I suffer from another cause, will this exercise work?
Unfortunately, this exercise only works for BPPV-type vertigo.
Need to explain that BBPV is caused by a kind of small crystal that floats in your inner ear fluid. Which then disturbs the balance / causes dizziness in yourself.
While vestibular neuronitis and meniere’s disease are caused by the condition of your body that is not healthy. Get enough rest, eat healthy food and take medicine is a way to overcome this type of vertigo.
Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo Treatment at home
We can also call this exercise BPPV vertigo exercises for short.
But before that you might be curious how can there be a loose crystal in my ear? The crystals intended in this discussion are calcium carbonate crystals originating from a small organ called Utricle. Not a foreign object that enters your ear.
Movements such as rolling, bending, jumping or moving your head quickly can be the cause of the loss of this crystal.
The movement you will learn aims to get rid of the crystal from the center of balance in your ear. So, you can do your normal activities again.
Now let’s start
I think this exercise is quite simple for anyone to do. You can simply do a series of movements as follows:
- Sit in an upright position on the bed
- Turn your face to the opposite side of the source of vertigo
- Then try to lie down from the current position with your face facing up
- Maintain this position for about 30 seconds or until your dizziness disappears
- Return to the upright sitting position
- Do the same for the other side.
To be easier for you to understand, you can watch a video that I provide below.
Another treatment exercise you can do is Epley Maneuver. The movement is quite easy and a lot of movement is done in a lying position. So, it is suitable for you / your family who are unable to get up from bed because of vertigo.
The movement is as follows by assuming the source of vertigo is in the LEFT SIDE of your head.
- Try to sit in the edge of your bed, then turn your face to the left.
- Lie down with this position with your face still facing left
- Wait for about 30 seconds or until the vertigo stops
- Then turn your head 90 degrees towards the right side
- Wait for another 30 seconds or until the vertigo stops
- Now turn your body to the right, so you will look down. Wait for about 30 seconds
- Try to get up slowly and sit on the bed
If the source of your vertigo is in the right ear, then do the opposite of the instructions above.
You can also watch a short video below for more details.
Another exercise that you can do is Semont Maneuver. When compared, I think that this exercise is the simplest.
- Sit on the edge of your bed. Turn your face 45 degrees to the right (if vertigo comes from your left ear)
- Lie down to your left side quickly and wait for about 30 seconds
- Then, move quickly to lie on the right side while still maintaining the position of your face. Wait for about 30 seconds and then look down.
- Try slowly to sit on the bed and wait a few minutes.
You can also watch a video below to get more complete instructions.
You can repeat the three vertigo treatment exercises above for several times in one session. In one day you can repeat about three sessions.
If after one week you do the treatment exercise and you still don’t feel any better changes. Then, you should see a doctor to get further analysis.