What is Green Tea?
Green tea is a kind of herbal drink made from tea leaves (camellia sinensis) where after harvested then it quickly preserved, so it has high levels of antioxidants. The original green tea comes from China, and have been known for thousands of years for a variety of health benefits, such as promoting digestion, heal wounds, and stop bleeding. Besides being used for beverages, green tea is also used as a raw ingredients for cosmetic items, dietary supplements, and foods. Thus, green tea may be one of the best options for you who want to have a healthy lifestyle.
Green Tea Nutrition Facts
Nutritional content in green tea has invited a lot of debate among the experts, but all agree that there are a lot of important nutrients in a cup of green tea. The following are some interesting facts about this tea, including;
- Green tea still contains caffeine, but the level is the lowest compared to other types of tea.
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) is one of the essential nutrients in green tea that has a higher amount of antioxidants than vitamin E or C.
- It contains several important minerals, such as: Selenium, Chromium, Zinc, and especially Manganese.
- It contains a collection of various kinds of vitamins, such as C, H, B5, B, C, E, D, and A.
- Green tea actually has calories, but since the amount is very low, so it is often considered no calorie
- It is a good source of alkaloids and antioxidants.
For more details, you can see in the following table.
|Green tea nutritional facts (100 ml Amount per Serving)|
|Folic Acid (Folate)||16ƒÊg|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|Est. Percent of Calories from:|
Green Tea Health Benefits
Compared with other beverages, such as coffee and black tea, green tea has several benefits for your health and beauty, among others:
1. Inhibit the aging process.
This drink contains very high anti-oxidant compounds, such as epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), catechins, and flavonoids. One of their important role is to protect your cells from the effects of free radicals. These free radicals will accelerate the process of premature aging, such as wrinkles and dark spots on the face.
2. Helps the body burn more calories.
This is perhaps the most desired benefits by people, especially those who want to lose weight safely. If you notice that most weight loss products contain green tea in it. You can see it on the wrapper or on the box. Maybe, now you understand why many people recommend this tea to drink while on a diet.
3. Reduce the risk of cancer.
The content of antioxidants in tea, not only help you look younger, but also helps prevent the formation of cancer cells in the body.